APK HOSTS FILE UPDATE (2/1/2009 - 644,842++ entries (5,524 new entries added))

APK

• 43yo who acts like a 3yo
  • Child
  • APK
WELL, "YOU-KNOW-THE-DRILL": What are the affected controls' URLs?
« Reply #30, on January 17th, 2009, 07:16 PM »Last edited on January 18th, 2009, 11:50 PM by APK
Quote from Ashen on January 17th, 2009, 06:23 PM
well apk, tpu's post options like bold and such dont work, nore do system stats on tpu, if u remove/dissable the hosts file they work fine :/
WELL, "YOU-KNOW-THE-DRILL":

I.E.-> What are the adversely affected webpage controls' URLs?

(Those controls' URL's are easily obtained IF your browser has a status bar visible @ its bottom for example, & if so, just hover the mouse cursor over said controls & it SHOULD show the adversely affected URL... if not, right-click on said items that do not work for you, & give me their URL properties)

... SOOOoooo - Until I get that URL(s) from you? I can't do a thing...

(Mainly because I literally have not been to TPU in probably, oh, 3++ yrs. now or so...)

----

Editing in after the section above, later...
Quote from Ashen on January 17th, 2009, 06:23 PM
for sys specs it adds #sysinfo to the end of the url tho its not sposta when u click that, i do not dissable java script so thats not it, duno what else to tell you m8 could just be something to do with the size of the damn thing
Well, since it's NOT a URL that's doing this strictly (by pasting on #sysinfo @ the end of the URL as you note)? I can't help via a HOSTS file... all hosts file have, are IP-to-URL equation lines, after all.

This happened for DarkNova before I think - IIRC, his was solved without us having to mess about in the HOSTS file, by the by...

... &, that was earlier here, either in this thread, or the redundant thread we have removed (which was a thread like this one, & did the same stuff as this one does (ala offering when this file is updated & also when to remove certain URL's etc. et al from it also etc. et al))...

* Anyhow/anyways - Thanks for the info.!

APK

P.S.=> In any event, get me those URL's & those are gone + should not be a problem @ that point once they are gone (provided they ARE indeed, inside this file, of course)... apk
"There must be security for all, or no one is secure. NOW - This does not mean giving up any freedom, except the freedom to act irresponsibly. We do not pretend to have achieved perfection, but we do have a system - and it works. Your choice is simple:  Join us, & live in peace... or pursue your present course, & face obliteration. We shall be waiting for your answer (The decision rests with you)..." - Klaatu, "The Day the Earth Stood Still"

McKennaK

This hosts file has been the cat's meow as far as speed of my computer online. It is like it is two to three times as fast and no banner ads anymore either. I have not gotten any infections by computer virus either at this point while using the hosts file and other suggestions the guide here for security has too. Thanks for this type of information. It just works.

APK

• Child
  • APK
Re: APK HOSTS FILE UPDATE (1/21/2009 - 644,803++ entries (5,350 new entries added))
« Reply #32, on January 22nd, 2009, 07:40 AM »Last edited on January 22nd, 2009, 09:14 AM by APK
Another "big update day" here again, today (01/22/2009):

50++ more bad servers/sites being added (per Dancho Danchev's ZDNet security blog & also stopbadware.org lists)...   

... That's to "top-off" the other 35 added 2 days ago, & the other 2,000++ (from Security Focus) a few days back...

(It's been a "BIG MONTH", this one, this way!)

:)

* I'll have it updated here, as per usual, w/ in 2 hr.'s time of THIS post going up, top/max/@most I am guessing...

EDIT: Done, uploading in minutes...

APK

P.S.=> Maybe a BIT longer than my usual 1++ hr. time to update once I post & note it, like usual, & only because I need to have some coffee, 1st... apk
"There must be security for all, or no one is secure. NOW - This does not mean giving up any freedom, except the freedom to act irresponsibly. We do not pretend to have achieved perfection, but we do have a system - and it works. Your choice is simple:  Join us, & live in peace... or pursue your present course, & face obliteration. We shall be waiting for your answer (The decision rests with you)..." - Klaatu, "The Day the Earth Stood Still"

UnaSalusVictus

• Bibliophile, Autodidact
  • Administrator
"It's funny that Christians want people to believe Muslims are evil due to what's in their holy book, their history, and the actions of their extremists, while telling people to ignore what's in their own holy book, their history, and the actions of their extremists."
http://www.pirate-party.us
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

APK

• Child
  • APK

UnaSalusVictus

• Administrator
"It's funny that Christians want people to believe Muslims are evil due to what's in their holy book, their history, and the actions of their extremists, while telling people to ignore what's in their own holy book, their history, and the actions of their extremists."
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

APK

• Child
  • APK
Re: APK HOSTS FILE UPDATE (1/25/2009 - 644,857++ entries (5,414 new entries added))
« Reply #36, on January 26th, 2009, 03:28 AM »Last edited on January 26th, 2009, 04:02 AM by APK
Quote from Ashen on January 26th, 2009, 02:44 AM
anand is one of the few review sites i acctualy trust because the reviews have yet to show me any bias to one company over another :)
As long as their adbanners are not being served outta that URL you noted above?

I'm all for unblocking it...

... &, it will be "gone w/ the dawn", literally (when I update it in the a.m., as I always do, daily OR, near to it)...

----
Quote from Ashen on January 26th, 2009, 02:44 AM
do you know what anandtech is?
My man, come on:  Did I state I didn't??

(They're one of the better known ones out there, in the type of website they are (as a computer-tech enthusiast type website)).

Heh - One MIGHT be actually "hard-pressed" (either that, or a "deprived child") in this arena, if one DIDN'T know who they were (or, @ least, have heard of they)...

* Anyhow/anyways: Another "GOOD THING" resulted here, now that I did finally go take a peek @ their site lately, once I got home & read your reply:

I found yet another one of their adbanner generators I had NOT blocked -> dynamic1.anandtech.com!

(Thanks - this actually worked out in BOTH capacities now, since I have now taken a look @ their website now finally (I had to leave for many hours today & was without access to a PC because of it, & now I have checked...)).

APK

P.S.=> Many adbanner's from many a site begin w/ various "prefixes", as far as URL's go that is, & "images" is one of them (ad, banner, & ads are examples of others), & hence, why I had to ask... apk

UnaSalusVictus

• Administrator

APK

• Child
  • APK
Re: APK HOSTS FILE UPDATE (1/27/2009 - 644,898++ entries (5,461 new entries added))
« Reply #39, on January 27th, 2009, 01:53 PM »Last edited on January 27th, 2009, 03:36 PM by APK
Quote from Ashen on January 27th, 2009, 01:14 AM
they make anydvd and a bunch of other very good 100% safe apps, duno why they are on any list........seems strange...
I have no idea why they are (other than POSSIBLY their site may have been infected @ some point (or, adbanners they use) OR, possibly that the function of their ware somehow 'upset' the sensibilities + income of others, via copying it, since it appears to be a copying ware? Not sure...), but, my sources had them there.

I have also heard of they, & NOT in a "bad way", so, they will be gone in today's update (Pretty relatively "BIG" one (the past few have been larger, into the 100's this week in fact, & this one's around 40++ more above those, today))...

APK

P.S.=> I will post it here, "as-per-usual", in just about 1 hr.'s time away from my posting this reply to you here now... apk
1/27/2009 - UPDATED!

APK HOSTS FILE 4 Windows 2000/XP/Server 2003 (Updated 1/27/2009 - 644,898++ entries (5,461 new entries) + uses 0 as blocking IP address (most efficient type))

----

http://ashentech.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=2

----

OR

APK HOSTS FILE 4 VISTA/Server 2008 (Updated 1/27/2009 - 644,898++ entries (5,461 new entries) + uses 0.0.0.0 as blocking IP address (2nd most efficient type)):

----

http://ashentech.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=1

----

* 644,898++ total entries of KNOWN bad servers &/or sites, + 5,461 new bad server/site entries

(Added on 01/27/2009, from StopBadWare.org & Dancho Danchev's blogspot (ZDNet security research analyst) + Spybot "Search and Destroy's" IMMUNIZE feature, + SECURITY FOCUS own lists of bad sites/servers, updating)

... The attached HOSTS files (& the ones in the download url's above) are FULLY "normalized" (repeat entries removed) & internally alphabetized (for easier manual mgt. via a text editor, like notepad.exe) as well as put into the MOST efficient possible blocking IP addresses possible (either 0, or 0.0.0.0, vs. 127.0.0.1) for modern Windows NT-based OS, via the program pictured above...

APK

P.S.=> ALSO IMPORTANT: If you folks run into ANY legitimate sites which are blocked by this HOSTS file, let us know here in this thread -> http://ashentech.com/index.php?topic=1456.0 (this very thread, in fact)...

Thanks for that kind of feedback/pushback, by-the-by:

I.E.-> As it's truly a case of "1 oz. of criticism > = 1,000 lbs. of praise"
, & keeps helping to make this file better & better...

E.G.-> I, & others here who have contributed (such as Ash, DarkNova, Wile E, & others here + elsewhere from diff. forums online), have run into 61 domains to remove, of 644,898++ bad servers blocked, on 1/27/2009 thusfar (a mere .006% of total ONLY in fact), in:

tvsquad.com
    keznews.com
    myspace.com
    imdb.com
    google.co.uk
    latimes.com
    nytimes.com
    pcworld.com
    experts-exchange.com
    bbc.com
    wired.com
    simplemachines.org
    g.live.com
    usps.com
    comodo.com
    cubs.com
    wwe.com
    espn.com
    sandboxie.com
    comcast.net
    tech-recipes.com
    wordpress.com
    dealtime.com
    vso-software.fr
    brothersoft.com
    msgplus.net
    xroxy.info
    xroxy.com
    images.anandtech.com
    slysoft.com

dailymotion.com
    metacafe.com
    ign.com
    freedownloadmanager.org
    distrowatch.com
    mydigitallife.info
    free-codecs.com
    generationmp3.com
    twitchfilm.net
    ghacks.net
    garagegames.com
    gamecopyworld.com
    mediafire.com
    piratebay.com
    demonoid.com
    btjunkie.org
    isohunt.com
    files.filefront.com
    filekicker.com
    filefront.com
    speakeasy.net
    lifehacker.com
    mininova.org
    torrentfreak.com
    thepiratebay.org
    easy-share.com
    boingboing.net
    ngohq.com
    torrentbox
    torrentbytes
    joost.com

... they are removed as of 12/14/2008 - 1/26/2009 update(s)...

(This happens because I used others' sources, in HOSTS files, & people make mistakes!)

* Now - When I get that information from you, in regards to VALID & LEGITIMATE websites being blocked accidentally in this HOSTS file, then, I can edit the sites you note out, & re-upload the file afterwards quickly enough...

Thus - we ALL can gain by this being done here to/for this file! apk

UnaSalusVictus

• Administrator

APK

• Child
  • APK
Whew...

Late night tonite doing some work, SOOOoooo... sorry 4 late reply/response!

Quote from Ashen on January 28th, 2009, 03:51 AM
www.gamesites200.com

list of privat game servers mostly for MMO's
Anyways/anyhow:

Cool - that one will be gone in 1 hrs.' time (my usual update/add-remove pace)

* ... from the time/date of THIS posting in reply to you, by myself...

APK

P.S.=> As well as 12 more known bad servers/sites being added as well as the one you signal to remove... apk

Darknova

• Administrator