APK HOSTS FILE UPDATE (2/1/2009 - 644,842++ entries (5,524 new entries added))

APK

• 43yo who acts like a 3yo
  • Child
  • APK
Re: APK HOSTS FILE UPDATE (1/28/2009 - 644,905++ entries (5,473 new entries added))
« Reply #45, on January 28th, 2009, 05:01 PM »Last edited on January 28th, 2009, 10:02 PM by APK
Quote from Darknova on January 28th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Nice to see the new download system is working well :)
It seems to have overcome "the problem" I had of having to completely 'burn' (delete) posts for download for these FIRST, recreate NEW posts for them, and THEN, finally, re-upload ANY updates to them:

http://ashentech.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=2

http://ashentech.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=1

Where I had to FIRST completely remove the URL's (because when I uploaded a file to them, apparently since the files were write-protected, but, also .RAR protected archive files, it would NOT replace the file I was overwriting w/ a new version)...

:(

HOWEVER? Yes, now, this new upload system, does!

:)

(Good stuff... better than former one on that note alone)

APK

P.S.=> Now, I can see how many people have downloaded & tried this HOSTS file, where I couldn't before, over time...

I.E.=> That was because before, in the older upload/update system, I had to keep deleting the fomer ones ENTIRE POST, just to make a new uploaded version of this HOSTS file with the same name for the .rar file, take...

(Since the .rar files were NOT overwriting the older model I was uploading a newer one over)

BUT, before, it would not... & now? Apparently, new ones are overwriting the old .RAR files, as they ought to, on updates... apk
"There must be security for all, or no one is secure. NOW - This does not mean giving up any freedom, except the freedom to act irresponsibly. We do not pretend to have achieved perfection, but we do have a system - and it works. Your choice is simple:  Join us, & live in peace... or pursue your present course, & face obliteration. We shall be waiting for your answer (The decision rests with you)..." - Klaatu, "The Day the Earth Stood Still"

Darknova

• Administrator
Quote from APK on January 28th, 2009, 05:01 PM
It seems to have overcome "the problem" I had of having to completely 'burn' (delete) posts for download for these FIRST, recreate NEW posts for them, and THEN, finally, re-upload ANY updates to them:

http://ashentech.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=2

http://ashentech.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=1

Where I had to FIRST completely remove the URL's (because when I uploaded a file to them, apparently since the files were write-protected, but, also .RAR protected archive files, it would NOT replace the file I was overwriting w/ a new version)...

:(

HOWEVER? Yes, now, this new upload system, does!

(Good stuff... better than former one on that note alone)

APK

P.S.=> Now, I can see how many people have downloaded & tried this HOSTS file, where I couldn't before, over time...

I.E.=> That was because before, in the older upload/update system, I had to keep deleting the fomer ones ENTIRE POST, just to make a new uploaded version of this HOSTS file with the same name for the .rar file, take...

(Since the .rar files were NOT overwriting the older model I was uploading a newer one over)

BUT, before, it would not... & now? Apparently, new ones are overwriting the old .RAR files, as they ought to, on updates... apk
Looks like I fixed a problem I didn't even know about heh.

UnaSalusVictus

• Bibliophile, Autodidact
  • Administrator
"It's funny that Christians want people to believe Muslims are evil due to what's in their holy book, their history, and the actions of their extremists, while telling people to ignore what's in their own holy book, their history, and the actions of their extremists."
http://www.pirate-party.us
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

McKennaK

Re: APK HOSTS FILE UPDATE (1/29/2009 - 644,944++ entries (5,514 new entries added))
« Reply #49, on January 30th, 2009, 01:40 AM »Last edited on January 30th, 2009, 01:54 AM by McKennaK
Quote from Ashen on January 29th, 2009, 09:06 PM
https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/gamesite/9-1_vista32-64_sb_74235.exe

need to unblock that url, its used as shown for ATI/AMD drivers, would also unblock anything simlar since mostlikely there are more then one server used for drivers by amd/ati
Many akamai.net domain servers in hosts files are also banner ad servers. You might want to consider that Ashen and you also apk. I would suggest removing akamai.net entries as you wish in your own personal hosts files as you want to, individually, but do not remove each akamai.net entry in the hosts files you put here apk, because of this. You can even look inside this hosts files that apk puts here and see that this is the case on akamai.net.

UnaSalusVictus

• Administrator
well, if you cant download drivers from ati due to a hosts file that means alot of people here just wont use the hosts file as it is a pain in the ass having to constantly edit the damn hosts file in order to get to 100% legit sites.

infact alot of people will just go back to files like the biss(bluetak) hosts file since it blocks most adds and dosnt cause you to constantly have to remove stuff to beable to view pages or download drivers for your videocard/cpu/chipset/exct.

personaly would rather see the rare add then have to edit a hosts file over and over to download drivers.
"It's funny that Christians want people to believe Muslims are evil due to what's in their holy book, their history, and the actions of their extremists, while telling people to ignore what's in their own holy book, their history, and the actions of their extremists."
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

APK

• Child
  • APK
Re: APK HOSTS FILE UPDATE (1/29/2009 - 644,944++ entries (5,514 new entries added))
« Reply #51, on January 30th, 2009, 02:50 PM »Last edited on January 30th, 2009, 05:22 PM by APK
Quote from McKennaK on January 30th, 2009, 01:40 AM
Many akamai.net domain servers in hosts files are also banner ad servers. You might want to consider that Ashen and you also apk. I would suggest removing akamai.net entries as you wish in your own personal hosts files as you want to, individually, but do not remove each akamai.net entry in the hosts files you put here apk, because of this. You can even look inside this hosts files that apk puts here and see that this is the case on akamai.net.
Nice point:

I am forced to agree with that.

GOOD catch, Mckennak... & GOOD reasoning.

----The dailyshow will be removed today, &, that one I agree with as well

----
Quote from Ashen on January 29th, 2009, 11:09 PM
would love to know why that was in there.......
As to your question here?

Hey - It's possible that in the past they may have turned up an infestation or what-not - It happens!

In fact? I have screenshots & urls' for example, that show 2 fairly reputable sites have this happen!

MajorGeeks being one, & they had that occur a year or two ago (I have a screenshot of this) where they were floating a bad adbanner from some music site (canlimusik.org iirc) that had infection mechanisms in its code...

Another would be arstechnica, & that was reported over @ /. (SLASHDOT) of ALL places (one of their "sister/ally/affiliated" sites, or so I have always thought @ least).

----

Let me finish this one for you:
Quote from Ashen on January 30th, 2009, 03:22 AM
well, if you cant download drivers from ati due to a hosts file that means alot of people here
... CAN ALWAYS USE A DIFFERENT DOWNLOAD SITE (AN ALTERNATE, & THERE ARE USUALLY THESE)...

E.G. (&, specifically for ATI drivers no less)? See here (@ that website alone, there are 5 diff. alternate download areas, & that's ONLY from 1 location (@ MAJORGEEKS, & they are 1 site of that kind, shareware/freeware, only, of 100's like them out here online, mind you...):

http://www.majorgeeks.com/ATI_Catalyst_Drivers_for_Windows_XP_d4038.html

(OR, users can do my OTHER suggestion, conversely:   Just edit out the single entry you note for ATI in akamai.net, from their HOSTS files' interior...)

----
infact alot of people will just go back to files like the biss(bluetak) hosts file since it blocks most adds
Let them.

I can lead horses to water (that IS better on the security front by FAR no less), but, I can't make them drink it. The ONLY reason I can say mine is better, is that it is:

1.) The BISS/BlueTack file is NOT as efficient, using either 127.0.0.1 or 0.0.0.0 (vs. the 0 blocking IP I use for Windows 2000/XP/Server 2003)

2.) Proofed DAILY vs. known NEW bad sites/servers (is the BISS hosts file updated daily?)

3.) Mine is formed from BISS/BlueTacks, & also every HOSTS file listed @ wikipedia as well & thus, it will be MORE COMPREHENSIVE in protecting one vs. bad sites/servers, AND odds are, also? Contain more adbanners servers to block as well also...

Lastly, BISS/BlueTack's HOSTS file isn't worth a damn vs. currently KNOWN threats to you, security-wise (to proof you vs. site/server generated hacks-cracks from said sites)... especially if they aren't adding to it everyday as I have in THIS hosts file.

----
and dosnt cause you to constantly have to remove stuff to beable to view pages or download drivers for your videocard/cpu/chipset/exct.
Again - there are ALWAYS usually alternate download sites to get files from, OR, you can simply edit out the entry involved in the HOSTS file as seems to be the case with this one here!

(However - In THIS case, as mckenak pointed out, correctly mind you no less? TOO many akamai.net servers ARE ADBANNER SERVERS! No questions asked...)

----
personaly would rather see the rare add then have to edit a hosts file over and over to download drivers.
Again, there are usually always alternate download sites for a file, OR, just edit out a particular line... usually, I check on the ones you point out & they have proven OK thusfar, but on this one?

I have to make exception, & NOT remove "akamai.net", wholesale... too many of the akamai.net entries in this HOSTS file ARE ADBANNERS SERVERS. per mckenak catching this & making an excellent point no less in doing so above...

APK

P.S.=> In any event, it's off to go put in new entries for know bad sites/servers today from stopbadware.org (as well as new ones that have come up from SpyBot Search & Destroy also) & upload the new model here (sans "the daily show")... apk

"There must be security for all, or no one is secure. NOW - This does not mean giving up any freedom, except the freedom to act irresponsibly. We do not pretend to have achieved perfection, but we do have a system - and it works. Your choice is simple:  Join us, & live in peace... or pursue your present course, & face obliteration. We shall be waiting for your answer (The decision rests with you)..." - Klaatu, "The Day the Earth Stood Still"

McKennaK

UnaSalusVictus

• Administrator
hate to tell you this APK but there are not alwase alternate sites, try and find the southbrige drivers on one of your sites(the drivers i linked) they arent there, the video drivers sometimes show up on alt sites but not alwase, so your stuck editing a damn hosts file of as most will do, just removing the damn thing if you want to beable to use amd/ati download's to get your drivers.

and APK, when you make something more of a hassle to use then bennifit it provides for the avg user, they just wont use it, somebody with your experiance should know that.........

Darknova

• Administrator

APK

• Child
  • APK
Re: APK HOSTS FILE UPDATE (1/30/2009 - 644,944++ entries (5,515 new entries added))
« Reply #55, on January 31st, 2009, 05:54 AM »Last edited on January 31st, 2009, 06:19 AM by APK
Quote from Darknova on January 31st, 2009, 01:36 AM
It should also be pointed out that yes, akami is used to host adbanners, but this is the OFFICIAL AMD site he is downloading from, why should he have to find an alternative?
IF he cannot find one there, then alternates are what you have available... or, a program like this one can do as well:

http://www.innovative-sol.com/drivermax/

I mean, lol: Does this "official site" status mean the code is going to be any diff. on other sites that host the same file??

No.

OF course, there is always what I suggested above, & I am quoting myself below next in regards to it:
Quote from APK on January 30th, 2009, 02:50 PM
(OR, users can do my OTHER suggestion, conversely:   Just edit out the single entry you note for ATI in akamai.net, from their HOSTS files' interior...)

----
Quote from Darknova on January 31st, 2009, 01:36 AM
AMD is not going to link to any malicious sites, they'd be torn apart if they did.
I think you guys think that the "big names" in this field are "invulnerable" or something... new news/newsflash (take a read below):

http://www.wired.com/techbiz/media/news/2007/11/doubleclick

Heck - It even happened to Microsoft, here:

http://slashdot.org/articles/07/02/21/1736227.shtml

* THAT kind of thing? Happens... even to the 'big names', & even some of the BEST of them!

APK
Re: APK HOSTS FILE UPDATE (1/30/2009 - 644,944++ entries (5,515 new entries added))
« Reply #56, on January 31st, 2009, 06:00 AM »Last edited on January 31st, 2009, 06:20 AM by APK
Quote from Ashen on January 31st, 2009, 01:06 AM
hate to tell you this APK but there are not alwase alternate sites, try and find the southbrige drivers on one of your sites(the drivers i linked) they arent there, the video drivers sometimes show up on alt sites but not alwase
In that RARE case you cannot find an alternate source for downloading a file - That's where programs like DriverMax 4.9 can be of assist:

http://www.innovative-sol.com/drivermax/

As well... as yet another alternate means of getting a driver!

(I.E.-> DriverMax hunts down latest/greatest drivers vs. the ones you have, & finds the updates (easy as apple pie) +, downloads them for you... good stuff!)

----
Quote from Ashen on January 31st, 2009, 01:06 AM
and APK, when you make something more of a hassle to use then bennifit it provides for the avg user, they just wont use it, somebody with your experiance should know that.........
What did JDW say here earlier? Oh, yea... something along the lines of:

"IF YOU CAN READ ENGLISH, AND CAN USE NOTEPAD.EXE, YOU CAN HANDLE EDITING A HOSTS FILE"...

* Sorry, but, I have to agree with that much... or, something pretty along those lines is all.

APK

P.S.=> If somebody cannot handle doing THAT much (very easy to do, especially once it is explained to they)? They really ought NOT to mess about with computers then, or, @ least this level of computer reconfiguration... apk

UnaSalusVictus

• Administrator
apk you really are arrogant arent you?

people shouldnt have to spend 1/2 their time online editing a hosts file to remove LEGIT SITES.

they shouldnt have to use a program like drivermax if they dont need it.

I can tell you I DONT NEED IT, I already keep my drivers up to date myself, i tryed drivermax and have let others in on it, but I DONT NEED IT, it found ZERO drivers that needed updated on all of the systems I manage because I KEEP OP TOP OF THAT MYSELF.

having to open and re-open notepad or keep it open all the time really does get old, and having to guess what sites down/dead and what sites being blocked by the hosts file, same issue.

I have used a hosts file for years, and honestly I have never seen somebody who is in charge of updating one that felt that the most important thing was to block anything and everything that could have adds on it.

adblocking is nice, but i can live with a few adds here and there if it means i dont gotta spend 1/2 my time removing crap from my hosts file or dissabling said hosts file.

well i have said my peace, Im not updating off this file anymore anyway, I desided a while back i would just report ones i found in the hosts file i had since i was tired of having to re-remove stuff :/

Wile E

• #1 Hardware Killa!
  • Administrator
  • I like boobs!
First, let me just say I think it's a great thing you are doing for the community, APK, and I have the utmost respect for you, but (there's always a but, isn't there? lol), I have to side with Ashen on this.

I quit using your hosts file a few weeks back because it's a hassle. One of your sources uses the block ban approach. If a server or host has one or 2 sites on it with malware/ads/infections of some sort, instead of blacklisting just those one or two sites, it blocks the whole damn server/host, despite the fact there may be many useful and wonderful sites on the rest of the server. Not only that, but that source also seems to block the sites that had infected ads (or the likes) served to them, even tho they aren't the responsible party (Myspace comes to mind immediately). Myspace itself never hosted any malware, why in the hell would they block it? It's almost as if they wrote the damn black list to use for 10 year old children.

I want a hosts file that protects me from known bad sites, and only KNOWN bad sites, not one that tries to be my nanny.

The day you stop using that source, is the day I resume using your hosts file.

APK

• Child
  • APK
Re: APK HOSTS FILE UPDATE (1/31/2009 - 644,944++ entries (5,520 new entries added))
« Reply #59, on January 31st, 2009, 03:44 PM »Last edited on January 31st, 2009, 06:39 PM by APK
Quote from Wile E on January 31st, 2009, 11:03 AM
First, let me just say I think it's a great thing you are doing for the community, APK
Thanks!

----
I quit using your hosts file a few weeks back because it's a hassle.
If opening up notepad.exe to remove sites being blocked in a HOSTS file (1 line @ a time) is "too much" for anyone? Then, perhaps not using HOSTS files is the way to go for anyone of that nature really... just like I said to Ashen up above, as did JDW pretty much as well.

----
The day you stop using that source, is the day I resume using your hosts file.
Suit yourself - I realized 1 thing in this art & science, long ago (in the mid 1990's-2002 or so, during my shareware-freeware development highpoint really): That is that you CANNOT please everyone...

Like I said above in this & other threads earlier:  I can lead a horse to water - but, I cannot MAKE him drink it...

APK

P.S.=> You guys are missing the point here, from MY end, in regards to this HOSTS' file's current content:

... & that is that I "clean up" this file's interior vs. the AIRELLE "nanny approach" as you called it, & so far? It's working... I can't help if 2 guys don't use it here anymore is all. I know of 2 more here that do, NOT including myself.

E.G.-> You guys here found, what?? 62 domains thusfar to unblock, & my other folks helping me trim this in summation from 2 other places have found roughly 1,000 in combination with myself helping to do this as well... &, in that same timeframe, I've added ALMOST 5,500 KNOWN BAD SITES (vs. the ones found to be unblocked)

That's roughly a 5:1 ratio (of adding KNOWN BAD SITES vs. removing LEGIT GOOD SITES)... &, nearly 100:1 ratio, vs. what was found here on this site alone.

See, & I have stated this here before:

For a little while, it's going to be a "work-in-process", making the data solid (i.e.-> The HOSTS file content)...

Nothing I can do about that, but "grind it out" & be patient... & then, lastly, I will finish the FTP download portion of the app & distribute it! apk