Windows 8 Upgrade

Wile E

• #1 Hardware Killa!
  • Administrator
  • I like boobs!
Re: Windows 8 Upgrade
« Reply #15, on December 13th, 2012, 09:26 AM »
Saying no SP1 for 8 because 7 isn't getting SP2 is a leap.

UnaSalusVictus

• Bibliophile, Autodidact
  • Administrator
« Reply #16, on December 14th, 2012, 02:13 AM »
no, because ms wants to do away with service packs, they have for a while, they want you to use their off-line update server service(ctupdate or whatever its called now uses this method) they dont want to make service packs anymore, what they really would like to do is move to a system where you just buy a new version of windows every year like Apple do.

look at how they handled the zune....they tried to out apple apple.

look at the taskbar on 7, they tried to copy the dock functions(i like how 7 does it better then osx but..thats just me), look how 8 is setup, much like the changes apples been making to merge ios and osx, MS wants to copy whats working for apple because they see $.$ think about it, has balmer done anything since he took over MS thats not been driven by his lust for money?

Not that gates was a great example of a philanthrope  but he at least tended to think like and listen to what geeks and power users wanted rather then trying to copy Apple in hopes of out appling apple, again look at zune, look at windows phone, windows tablets, xbox.....they now share the same UI, MS wants to drive developers into using .net as their primary coding platform so that the apps can be made to work on all of these platforms more easily......
they also are pushing the windows store very hard, and its whats upset alot of developers, to become "windows 8 native" you have to have a metro/modern UI version of the app.....yeah i wana see photoshop in modern/metro?

yeah, ms just wants us to buy windows every year, or 6 months so they can keep the money flowing from us to them, this also would let them charge more for business contract cycles(guessing by things i have read) trying to force business to move forward with upgrades faster)

alot of people have been saying it for years now, more and move ms investors are saying it as well......they need somebody more like gates and less like balmer in control
"It's funny that Christians want people to believe Muslims are evil due to what's in their holy book, their history, and the actions of their extremists, while telling people to ignore what's in their own holy book, their history, and the actions of their extremists."
http://www.pirate-party.us
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

Wile E

• #1 Hardware Killa!
  • Administrator
  • I like boobs!
« Reply #17, on December 14th, 2012, 09:14 AM »
I still don't see anything that supports that theory. I mean, sure, it's a real possibility, but still nothing points directly to it.

I'll believe it when I see confirmation. I just don't think MS can get away with it like Apple. They have a different user base.

Darknova

• Administrator
« Reply #18, on December 14th, 2012, 12:24 PM »
You say that Wile E but they've just redesigned Windows completely, they're going through a period of "let's change stuff".

Most of the things I've read are towards a yearly schedule of "upgrades" whether it's a Service Pack renamed, or a whole new OS, I don't know. They do point towards these "upgrades" being free though, so probably just renaming SPs to be "different".

My confidence in Microsoft is utterly shot, I'll believe nothing (not even that they'll keep the status quo) until I see it.

Microsoft is now an "unknown entity" in my eyes.

UnaSalusVictus

• Administrator
« Reply #19, on December 15th, 2012, 12:28 AM »
im just shocked the guy who gave me endless shit for not liking the removal of the classic start menu in 7 is  so reluctant to grab the newest version of windows because it has replaced the start menu with a "modern" start screen.....

I mean Im sure those who have been around here a while remember how much shit WileE and some others gave me for bitching the classic start menu mode was removed saying i was just afrade of change and such....now the same people arent jumping on 8 because it changed the start menu out for a start screen.....:P

im using 8 here at work, its "ok" i dont use the start screen tho, i use startmenux(google it)
"It's funny that Christians want people to believe Muslims are evil due to what's in their holy book, their history, and the actions of their extremists, while telling people to ignore what's in their own holy book, their history, and the actions of their extremists."
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

Wile E

• #1 Hardware Killa!
  • Administrator
  • I like boobs!
« Reply #20, on December 15th, 2012, 01:28 AM »
Because Classic Start menu to Vista/7 start menu was a minor change in layout and didn't kill productivity once you adjusted to it and tweaked it to your liking.

Start screen is a major change, offers little in the ways of tweaking, and kills productivity. If they would get rid of the pop-up delay to click on the start screen, and get rid of the stupid fucking tiles that take up so much real estate, and allowed me to change it to a list or details view, it wouldn't bother me. As it stands now, I have to scroll across the entire screen looking at stupid little icons to find what I'm after.

Darknova

• Administrator
« Reply #21, on December 15th, 2012, 12:26 PM »
Probably because the 7 start menu is functionally identical to the classic start menu, it just LOOKS different.

The "modern/metro" UI is a massive change that changes the very nature of the OS.

Tarkus

« Reply #22, on December 17th, 2012, 02:15 AM »
Well, I can adjust and learn (or re-learn) anything. The question I always ask is "why should I have to?".

What we need is some serious standard baseline for an OS, designed so new hardware drivers and new features can be added if the user wants them. I am tired of constant updates for software applications, OS and all the other crap. Maybe I should say "upgrades", because many of them cost going to the next version of something. Kind of like Roxio (never again). I blame Ashen for that one. He should have kicked my ass and STOPPED me from getting that. :)

Well, off to GW2 to kill something.

Still have a month to decide on Win 8.
Tarkus
The "real" old man !!

UnaSalusVictus

• Administrator
« Reply #23, on December 17th, 2012, 07:19 AM »
I would have had you mentioned buying that crap, back then the only worth buying burning software was nero, and even then, there where free alternatives, imgburn kicks nero's and roxio's arse......and its FREEEEEE

AMadGenus

• Zune Expert!
  • Administrator
  • Death of Originality
« Reply #24, on December 18th, 2012, 02:09 AM »
Why should you re-learn an Operating System?

Why learn one in the first place?

People are free to use alternatives.

Is gaming the only plausible reason to use an Operating System. It is entertainment, and not necessarily an item necessary to biological survival.

One could create an Operating System from BSD, Linux and more.

Why would one do so?

Possibly the same reason one would learn a computer in the first place.

If Microsoft becomes more of a chore for my use. I will switch to PC-BSD.

Alas, I learn stuff way too fast... to my own damnation, it makes me an over-corrective bore quite often. Though I have been trying to correct any erroneous and bad data... emphasis on trying...

Tarkus

« Reply #25, on January 13th, 2013, 11:29 PM »
Well, I did finally install Win 8 on my primary computer. Cost me the $15 and to me that was at least worth the price. I still have some time to decide to install or not on my laptop. That one will be $39.

I don't exactly "love" it, nor do I "hate" it. I just find it different. It took me 15 minutes, and I finally had to use the HELP screens to figure out how to Shut it Down. But, now I know.

I notice several posts suggesting a clean install as well. I did NOT do this but can re-install clean at a later date if needs change. The REASON: it took me 3 days to install the current apps on my computer and I just did not feel like doing all that again, registering or re-registering software and all the crap involved.

Everything I have is legal and registered and that becomes a real hassle when you buy a new computer or when you upgrade the OS to a new one.

OR to find out something does not run. Yes ASHEN, I know, you told me. DO NOT BUY ROXIO. And I agree, never again. (sidenote to Ashen: I did download and install Imgburn)
Tarkus
The "real" old man !!

UnaSalusVictus

• Administrator
« Reply #26, on January 14th, 2013, 10:22 AM »
try http://www.startmenux.com/index.html see if you like that, I use it on the laptop at work(win8) and use the older version made for 7 at home, far better then the stock start menu and one hell of alot better then the damn start screen....... :D

Tarkus

« Reply #27, on January 26th, 2013, 09:09 PM »
Thanks Ashen. Downloaded Start Menu X and will install it this weekend sometime. Have to first fix my wife's computer. Sound problem. Says speakers are not connected but they are and work just fine. Don't know if it is hardware or software yet because I have not had the time to look at it.

Getting more used to Win 8. Put it on my laptop then had to Un-sync some of the features so both laptop and desktop STOPPED wasting time syncing things I did not want.

Does anyone know just how secure some of these features are? Especially when sharing files over the home network under Win 8.
Tarkus
The "real" old man !!